Monday, April 20, 2009

Burger, potato salad, beer, the ultimate trio


It was a hot, hot weekend! If this is spring, I'm liking it. My husband promptly went out and bought a new gas barbeque. We have never owned one before and the last bbq was a mini charcoal one about 3 years ago. Needless to say our grilling technique is a bit rusty. Since I don't cook meat too often, I am always paranoid of under cooking meat. The second photo is my sad burger after multiple cuts to see if it was done. Yes I do have a meat thermometer but somehow I don't fully put my trust into it yet.  I've noticed many restaurants serving their burgers medium rare. Now I love a medium-rare steak that's fine. But medium rare ground meat is another thing. I trust that searing the surface of a steak will get rid of E. coli and other nasties but you never know about the condition of pre-ground ground beef. Last summer I got take out from a BBQ joint down the street from my home. It was completely pink and raw on the inside! Ew. And I was 8 months pregnant at the time. Double Ew.
I tried a new salad today, it was a non-mayo potato salad with radishes, red onion and capers with a dijon-white wine vinaigrette. Pretty tasty but not quite enough oomph in the dressing. I'll have to tinker with it and post the recipe in the future.

ps. I had sparkling apple juice instead of beer and it was almost as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment