Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Beets and freestyle cooking.


I used to cook like I was doing a science experiment, down to the exact detail. One day I realized that I don't really know how to cook cook and lacked any improvisation at all. I envy those who are able to whip up something delicious based on leftovers and whatever they find in the fridge. So here I am trying to freestyle cook. It's not like I don't go with recipes anymore but I've now allowed myself to be a bit free-er and spontaneous so to speak. There have been successes and oh there have been failures. Like big ones. Ones that resulted in ordering out for pizza. I suppose it's still important like a learning experience. Freestyle cooking has been especially useful when we started subscribing to a CSA. I just didn't feel like filtering through recipes that had the most of the veggies I had on hand, then realizing that I needed to go to the store to pick up the rest.  

It's beet season and I was able to pick up gorgeous Chiogga and red beets this past weekend. Normally I don't buy beets but there were so many I figured I could try to add them to my regular menu. Here is what I came up with, it's not original nor fancy but tasty anyways. 

Roasted beet salad

2 bunches of small beets, washed and trimmed
juice from half an orange
splash of white wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
chevre
orange zest

Wrap beets in tin foil and roasted them at 400F until fork tender, ~45-60 minutes. 
Allow to cool.
Cut in wedges or slices and place into a bowl.
Add orange juice and white wine vinegar to the beets. Taste and season. 
Add olive oil and toss thoroughly to coat the beets.
Top with chevre and orange zest.

The salad would probably look even prettier with chopped parsley too but I didn't have any in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment